Her areas of research include Information Retrieval, Ontology Development, and Social Media and Network Analysis. As a leading digital library expert she was commissioned to carry out studies and projects by UNESCO, Educational Development Council, Washington, DC, USA and others. Some of her well known projects/studies include the following:
- 1. UNESCO Guide to Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs),2002 
- 2. UNESCO Directory of Open Access Education and Training Opportunities, 2011 
- 3. UNESCO sponsored Training Program called UN4IM Training Library and Information Professionals in India.
- 4. UNESCO Workshop on eBooks, ISiM. September 2004 
- 5. Digital Library of Learning Educational Development Council, Washington, DC, USA Project the Dot-EDU digital library of audiovisual learning materials for the underprivileged school children developed under the project ‘Technology Tools for Teaching and Training in India
- 6.Unicode Implementation for Indian Scripts funded by Microsoft 
She has published more than 200 papers in peer-reviewed journals and prestigious academic conferences and also edited five books published by Springer. Her Google Scholar profile has more than 500 citations. She received the Emerald Research Fund Award 2007/2008 for her research “Networks and Turning Points: An Exploration of the Dynamics of Academic Networks and Social Movements in India”.